It's been awhile...


I’ll just go ahead and address the elephant in the room: It’s been a long time.

Why? Well, I don’t really write any more,  it’s an unfortunate result of my crazy schedule these days.  Ok, sure, I write, but not really. My days are filled with writing dozens of emails at an impressive speed, writing texts,  scribbling rushed notes on sticky notes that liter my office, writing expense reports, writing thank you notes. But not really writing anything that one would want to read, ponder, deconstruct or potentially chuckle at.  But you  know how it goes: life goes on.

But it also comes full circle! Hooray for that!  In a few short hours I’ll be leaving to Honduras, again.T hat’s pretty cool and crazy, huh? Yeah, I’m in disbelief too. It’s almost dejavu. It was just 2 years ago that I set off for Honduras the first time. I was bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Right before my birthday.  Not knowing what to expect, not knowing what my job description was. Not knowing a single soul in the country.
 My oh my how things have changed.  I’m not bright eyed and bushy tailed any more, I’m tired. I need nap. I guess you could still say I’m bushy tailed if you consider my frizzy  hair. But know I sort of know what to expect, if you can ever expect anything (which you really can’t). I know what I’m expected to do and I know several people.  And it’s almost my birthday, again. Now I’m the” experienced” one the group.  Tonight I’m leading 17 people to Valle de Angeles for an 8 day-mission trip. And I’m sooooo excited! I get the chance to return to the place I spent 13 months at, I get to see people I didn’t think I would see again, I get to take part in a mobile clinic program that I was so anxious to start but did not get the opportunity to take part of during my time there.

And all of this only 11 ½ months after I came back! It hasn’t even been a full year since I returned to the U.S. and dealt with that horrible reverse culture shock, struggled with finding a job, and moved back to California. I hope I can ease back into the Honduran lifestyle. I don’t know what this trip will bring, but I know it will be a much needed mental break (though we’ll be working like dogs). I think it will be good for my soul to refocus on my passion for global health. So stay tuned, I know I’ll have lots to post on.

Tuna fish, over and out :)

Quote for the day:

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman


Comments

Popular Posts